10.30.2007

now, one of my favorite songs just so happens to be a famous elevator song made famous by stan getz and astrud gilberto in the mid-60's called the girl from ipanema. i cannot explain why but i have loved this song since i was a little girl. i am a big fan of stan getz and bossa-nova music. i am enthralled with it. the song is actually written about a girl who used to walk by a cafe where the writers, antonio jobim and vinicuis de maraes, used to frequent. she'd walk past and get a chorus of wolf-whistling.

ever since this fascination with this song began, i've wanted to travel to the lovely ipanema, rio de janeiro, brazil. known as the marvelous city, it is home to the beaches of ipanema and copacabana. (known to host the verrrry scantily clad.) rio is also known for the giant jesus statue atop the corcavado mountian. so who's with me? a little visit to the beaches of ipanema, and some dancing at the copa?

see? it's where my heart is.
tall and tan and young and lovely, the girl from ipanema goes walking...

3 comments:

Bridget Beth said...

Yes please!

My uncle has a condo there and recently sent me a little pink teapot from one of the markets. I like to think my tea is magically transported from Brazil :)

Spiro said...

i have a friend who lives there that works with kids that live on the street. (she's a native brazilian) I've often thought I could go do something like that.

love the song too. for some reason, it reminds me of the song "fever"

e said...

"Girl From Ipanema" reminds me of hanging out with Jen and Jared in the old staff trailer in the summer of '97. Jen had it on vinyl and we'd just listen over and over...

...I'm totally down for Rio. I've been to Sau Paulo briefly and have a deep desire to see the Christ Statue...there is a scene in Alias where Sydney Bristow parachutes in over Brazil and it's spectacular! Also, one of my favorite James Taylor songs is Only A Dream in Rio: "I was there and my heart came back alive..." When I was in Paraguay/Argentina/Brazil I would listen to it over and over!! *Sigh*...you see what a flood of memories you have unleashed with this post?! :)