4.18.2008

due to the nature of this post, please please proceed with caution. this is scary:

some of you may have heard about this. . . i have just read one of the most alarming things i've come across in quite some time. apparently, there is an "artist" at yale university who has decided for her senior "art project" she thought it a brilliant idea to self-inseminate (as much as possible, might i add.) while taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages over a nine month period.

this woman saved the blood of each miscarriage and video taped it. her goal was to start conversation and debate on the relationship between art and the human body. to display the project, she plans to smear the blood, mixed with vaseline to keep from drying, on plastic sheeting, and play the videos of herself collecting blood after each miscarriage.

what is this world coming to? how can people do this for ART PROJECTS? mutilating the body and taking lives hardly qualifies as art. she is abusing her constitutional rights and it is sick and wrong. my heart aches for this girl... i don't understand what she's trying to prove. she is just hurting so many many people in this process.

6 comments:

Serrah Russell said...

seriously. that's what i can't stand about the art world.
there is this artist, i'll try to get his name to you, but basically he tied up a dog in a gallery and it died because of lack of food and water. the pictures are seriously so sad. and on the wall, with dog food, he wrote dog food.
its sickening.

e said...

I think you might disagree but this hits right at the center of the reason why I so disliked the film American Beauty. It makes me so sad to see our world point to the most depraved, horrible, awful, sinful things and say, "Well that's life. Isn't it beautiful?"
It's death, and it's horrible.
This grieves the heart of the Lord, the Creator, the ultimate artist.
Therefore, not True Art.

Christie said...

I heard about this a couple of days ago, but I also heard that it may be a hoax and just a fictional project made up all for the sake of art. The artist isn't giving a straight answer though.

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/paper-trail/2008/04/18/yale-student-turns-maybe-abortions-into-art-project.html

Made up or not, she's one sick person. I don't get how one can treat life as something so disposable.

Christie said...

Whoops, try this link

http://tinyurl.com/3tl7y3

Nicole said...

Wow, This is beyond disturbing, but also an eye opening example of the confusion in so many people's hearts.

Unknown said...

I wish that someone with some kind of authority, for example a teacher or advisor, were strong enough to say: "1) No, you may not do this for your senior art project because many would strongly feel that this is morally questionable, and 2) I strongly recommend that you go to the Yale counseling center and talk to someone." I think our culture is afraid of confronting others, but we must learn to do so with gentle compassion, otherwise people go through life without knowing how they affect other people, or knowing that people care about them- and then something terrible happens and it is too late. I don't know who I'm preaching at right now, but I just had to say it!!